Saturday, July 30, 2011

John Jacob Astor - The First Multi Millionaire

My sister in law mentioned this person on Facebook, so I googled him and found some very interesting information. I agree with what my sis in law said, it gives you hope that things will improve in the future. He is the 4th richest man in American history. A son of Dairy salesman in Germany. He emigrated to London when he was 16 years old. After the American Revolutionary War, he came to America and built a fur trade empire. In the early 19th century he diversified into New York Real Estate.

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I think we should focus on being wealthy multi millionaires, please let me explain my thought process. Many people believe we are living in the end times. I am not saying we are or are not. I am only trying to point out that in our history in the United States and also world wide. People have lived through harsher financial times, more devastating natural disasters and more diabolical social conditions. Our Heavenly father has stepped in and cleaned house in those times of past and will step in again when civilization needs to be cleaned up. For those of you who are wise, you will look to the future for a time to improve upon yourself. Look at the glass half full, instead of half empty. Below is from another web site....it appears to be a journal from John Jacob Astor.




Day 11, September 11, 1837



All the newspapers are reporting about the recent crisis we are having in our economy. The property values are unheard of, so low that now is the perfect time to invest! They are calling this period the Crisis of 1837. It is such a horrid time that people are being forced to foreclose on their properties. I already own some properties west of 5th Avenue in the 30s, so I’ll start my empire with those properties, including my hotel. Ahh, my hotel, the prized possession of my collection. The Waldorf-Astoria, located on 49th and Park Avenue, is the best place you could stay! Everybody raves about it and how it gives New York a whole new sense of luxury. Now that’s a reputation you want for your hotel! We’ve had some pretty famous people stay there like Charles Dickens and Daniel Webster. Anyway, I have a good amount of money prepared to invest in the properties, and since the prices are extremely low, I will have a great return on my investments; I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment