Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Parents


As I write this post, I am listening to my husband help his father decide which laptop computer would be best for him to purchase. I can hear the frustration in my father in laws voice and the more frustrated he becomes the more patient my husband becomes. I know he is feeling frustrated himself, because I can not count on my hand how many times I have had to help my mom with her computer. My mother has no idea what the computer terms are, like icon. So when I am trying to help her fix her computer, I come up with some really unique words to describe what I am trying to get her to click on.

The difference with my mom and me is we usually end up laughing about her lack of computer knowledge and my creative ways to help her fix her computer. She laughs at me when I say to her, "I'm blind here mom, tell me what you are seeing on the screen". Then she will go into great detail telling what is on the screen. Making memories and laughing about it. I wonder why it is that some people can't laugh at the little things in life. I figure life is too short and I have way too many BIG things in life to be serious about. I will state that my daughter may view this differently when I am irritated over something that seems so little to her.

Looking at my mom and my father in law with their lack of computer knowledge, I can foresee my future with my own kids. Actually it's not so future on some things. My family has our television, dvd player and stereo so rigged that it is some times difficult to figure out if I am turning on switches to the space shuttle or trying to watch a movie. When all the little lights don't turn on right I yell for my daughter to come fix it. When my son hands me his cell phone to make a call I look at it and for the life of me can't figure out how to make it turn on. Apparently, you just have to touch the screen and with a flick of your finger you can be on the internet. Although, if you flick to much you can completely screw the phone up. I know this from experience. I suppose when my kids are on their own and I call them with a silly little question. They will either find humor in my lack of knowledge and make memories or they will patiently tolerate my phone call until we fix the problem. Either way, I am sure I will be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment