Friday, December 11, 2009

Adapting to Change


I will admit I have this terrible flaw. Mind you, it's not my only flaw, but it is the one that bugs me the most. I can not adapt to change very well. I plan, organize and schedule my day down to the minute. When someone throws a kink into the day, it takes me sometime to adjust to the change of schedule. Now that I am older, I have quit throwing temper tantrums. Ok, I still throw them in my mind, but I no longer toss myself onto the floor.

You've probably already figured out I am not much of a spontaneous person. I have never experienced just getting into the car and taking off for the weekend. Now there is a part of me that really wants to do this, but then I think to myself about all the things I need to do in order to be gone for a couple of days. I can't imagine what it would be like to just let life happen.

I bet your wondering why this article came about. This morning my mother in law called, the pipes burst in her home and she needed my husband and sons to come help her out. My husband canceled his appointments for the day. My oldest son was suppose to take my youngest son to the airport (he's leaving town for the weekend), so know I am taking him to the airport. I was more then happy to be able to help. Then the neurotic side took over. I had planned on cleaning my house and baking for the weekend. Instead of tossing aside these meaningless task, I freaked out and began cleaning and trying to get the baking done. Snapping at my innocent daughter to help me. In my mind I was thinking, "can't she see I have so much to do!" She tried to appease her crazy mother, but I continued to snap. Finally, she worked along side me and we finished the task at hand. I can not tell you what awesome daughter I have.

In retrospect, I realize my behavior is a bit ridiculous. After apologizing to my daughter, I am going to focus on being more free spirited. Who knows, you may read a news article about a crazy women running around in an exotic vacation spot. Ok, that's probably unlikely. I'll work on not freaking out about minor schedule changes in my household first.

No comments:

Post a Comment