Monday, November 23, 2009

Car accident


My 71 year old mother had her fist car accident a few days ago. It was not her fault it was the fault of a teenage girl driver, she literally just left the parking lot from getting her driver's license. She hit my moms car broadside. Damaging her drivers door and the driver passenger side door. Mom bought her '99 Protege brand new and it only had 76,000 miles on it. She babied this car never allowing anyone to eat in it, she vacuumed the carpet all the time and kept it well maintained. The insurance company sent their claims inspector out to her house today, only to tell her they were going to have to total her vehicle. The real slap in the face is they will only be giving her $4200.00 for this vehicle. The chances she will be able to purchase a vehicle for this amount with the same low mileage and condition is slim. My mother is retired and lives on a fixed income, she can not afford a car payment. How is this fair and just to her? You have a impeccable driving record, keep your vehicle well maintained and cared for, only to have an insurance company rob you.

If anyone out there has any suggestions for my mother, please let me know. Mind you we are all thankful no one was hurt in the accident. We also understand it was an "accident". Accidents happen in life, that is why we have insurance.

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, I am glad your Mother's alright. Its nice to hear that she wasn't hurt in the accident.
    I am not convinced with the response from the insurance company. I can't believe they said that! Maybe she can speak with higher authorities and claim for the damage caused, so that the vehicle can be repaired. There would be no necessity to total such a wonderful car. I really do feel bad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your mom's accident.
    I feel the legal driving age should be raised to 18. Kids are so easily distracted.

    I hope your mom can get more satisfaction in regard to her car from the insurance company.
    I think the girls' parents should kick in monetarily to help your mom.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Switch to usaa insurance. They are the best I have ever had. Cheapest as well. 17 dollars a month on my saab (liability), 75 dollars a month on my audi (full coverage) and 75 dollars a month on my chevy hhr (full coverage).

    They cover every thing. I just had the windshield replaced on the audi. It was my fault, I had the bright idea to take it off roading, and busted the windshield. They still replaced it.

    They even cover the computers in the house, they just replaced a laptop that got dropped. Called them, told them I had dropped it, they asked how much I had paid for it, and then the sent me a check to cover the full cost of the laptop.

    Your mother should sue that girl though...

    ReplyDelete