Thursday, May 14, 2009

Work from Home

It's been 14 years since I have worked outside of the home. I say "outside" of the home, because I work very hard AT home. Working women have a double load on their shoulders. They manage a home and manage a job outside the home. They are spread so thin, at times they do not know if they are coming or going. When I became a full time stay at home mom, you can't imagine the weight that had been lifted off my shoulders. My stress level dropped to almost nothing. I had a lighter bounce to my step and more patience for my loved ones. I know many women who manage well, I didn't.

I think the hardest part was getting use to not having adult conversations on a regular basis. We moved to the country at the same time, so there were a few adjustments. After getting involved in social groups that involved the children I became accustom to the stay at home life.

Well, the kids are grown and now I am seeking work from home. Filling out applications has been interesting. They ask for previous employers and I don't think my husband counts as an employer. You may laugh, but how to put managing a house of five, coordinating social events, meal planning and preparation, housecleaning and laundry under previous employment? You can't even imagine, they want professionals to do telemarketing. If I can sell brussel sprouts to a five year old, trust me I can sell you anything.

If anyone out there figures out how to get companies to hire women how have an empty resume, let me know. I'm open for ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mrs. Hall,

    I thought this blog was amazing. I admire what you do. I think one of the best things you have going for you is listing your skill sets. You have a wealth of experience in so many areas, and identifying that experience in your resume would be (in my opinion) a sure bet to reflect your value.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete