Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Morning cup of coffee

I woke up yesterday and had difficulty speaking. My words were coming out backwards, my tongue was replacing words with others my mind was wanting to use. My dear husband thought I was just trying to talk to fast, so he would encourage me to slow my speech down. I felt like I was a character in a Dr. Seuss book. After a few frustrating conversations I realized what was causing my dilemma.....I had not had my morning cup of coffee.

Now you may wonder, how can a simple cup of java cause such a minor crisis. That was my question as well. So I began researching the effect of caffeine on the brain. One of the web sites I went to summed the information up nicely. Caffeine binds the adenosine receptors in your brain, these are the ones that make you drowsy. Then your neurons become more active telling your pituitary gland to release more adrenaline. This then causes a faster heart beat, your breathing tubes to open up, a release of sugar from your liver into your blood stream, an increase of blood flow to your muscles and a tightening of your muscles. In other words, it's like an electric jolt to your system....wah-la your awake!

I have thought in the past that I should maybe give up coffee. After yesterday morning and my research there is a good possiblity that people would not be able to understand me. So for the sake of others I will continue my morning ritual, drinking a cup of java before interacting with the world.

3 comments:

  1. Coffee, in moderation, has actually been proven to improve your health. However, if you drink it by the gallon, as I do . . . well, not so much. ;o)

    Thank you for commenting and following my blog. I would be more than happy to follow you, too.

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you mom's fortress....when they make coffee you can hook up to IV....I'll be the first in line :)

    ReplyDelete