Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Throw Away Nation

We live in a throw away nation and it looks like people are going to have to wise up here REAL soon. If you have ever spent any time conversing with an elderly person who lived through the depression, you would know they are very frugal. Our country has evolved into a instant, hurry up, toss it out and more is better country. I think the people living in the cities are going to be hit the hardest. With the fast pace life, they have not taken the time to realize that they will not be able to afford processed quick meals, drive through meals for dinner or a disposable life.

So how do we adapt? You have to conserve and make things from scratch. Lean on your neighbors and start planting in that perfectly landscaped yard. Take some time, visit a nursing home and talk to someone who lived through the depression. My kids grew up at the feet of an elderly women in our small town hearing her stories of the hard times. Have I been wasteful, of course! Now, I am not...I reuse plastic zip lock bags. I save glass jars for canning. I use dryer sheets more then once and then instead of throwing it away, I place it at the bottom of my bathroom trash for a nice fresh scent. I add water to the last drop of dish soap, shampoo and conditioner. Instead of tossing a glass of water down the sink, I water a plant with it. There are some many things you can do to make your dollar stretch. Probably the most effective is to stop buying quick and easy processed meals. Spend time in the kitchen on the weekend. Make your meals from scratch and freeze them. Then all you have to do after work is warm it up. It saves time and money and shows your family you care.

If and when these hard times effect you, remember one thing. We must lean on our neighbors, friends and family to help one another get through this.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good read. It gives me a lot to think about. I remember how my grandfather was, (and still is frugal) concerning food, and a lot of our home's resources; and I was told growing up that it was because of how he grew up.

    What you say about relying on ones neighbors, families, and friends to pull through makes me think about the love that the Master asks us to have for one another; loving one another as we love ourselves. Remember the community of believers in the 1st Century, and how the scriptures say of them that they had "all things common" and "sought not there own, but the things of each other"? That is a reality that can be lived out today as well as back then. It doesn't even have to be on a major scale, it can be something as simple as giving food, or spare change to someone in need. Or helping a loved one out with their finances, or any resources we may have that they may lack.

    Thank you for sharing this. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete